Tuesday, June 3, 2008

YouTube

I like the idea of YouTube, but sometimes the videos "stutter" while the video is "buffering". Librarians could use it to swap videos of successful storytimes. That way, librarians new to programming can pick up good techniques. I have been to a lot of storytimes with my kids. If I ever become full-time again (I am currently a IPTH), I think the experience of seeing different storytimes would add to my own.

Librarians could also use YouTube to share information from training sessions that not everyone can attend.

3 comments:

Meerkatdon said...

About the videos stuttering...that can happen if there's a lot of stuff coming in to the branch computers at the time.

Usually you can load the whole movie before playing it, and that will take care of the stuttering. Sometimes it helps to click "play" and then hit "pause" right away. You'll see a red or black line fill up below the video...that shows how much it's loaded. When that line is all the way full, click "play" and you should be able to see the whole thing without it stuttering.

hravan said...

Swapping storytimes is a great idea. I played around with videos just a tiny bit and they are lots of fun. Have you made movies of your kids? I tried using Windows Movie Maker and it is really easy to hook your clips together and add credits. If only there were more time in the day!

Happier Blue said...

Good idea about using YouTube as a story time resource. It's one thing to see a fingerplay or activity written in a book; it's quite another thing to see the activity in action. Everyone puts their own individual spin on it.